Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Value of a Community- So Much More than a "Playgroup"

Today I joined some of my most informative Mama-friends for a knitting circle.   My wild little baby only let me knit one row, but that came as no surprise to me.  I found this particular group of Moms on Meetup.com - it's a very go with the flow type of structure and there are 2 Moms who keep the info/playdates/etc updated.  It's a very crunchy (and well informed) group of women  and I can't (and don't want to) imagine life without them.  This group represents one community cluster that I'm a part of in my suburban sphere.  Today at knitting circle it struck me as how beneficial and helpful this community that Kelly and Stephanie created is.

What's so important about a "Moms Group?"  Well for starters, it's much MUCH more than a playdate group.   We're essentially a group of empowered and intelligent women who want to raise healthy and happy children.   Because we want our kids to be healthy, we obviously want to possess good health ourselves so we can be present with them and create memories, bond, have fun.  So it should come as no surprise that we discuss raw food, Weston A. Price, exercise, safe non-toxic deodorant/cleaners/etc.  There is lots of talk of Produce Co-Ops, Costco, Sewing Patterns and so much more.  If a participant in the group has a particular health concern and asks within the group the knowledge that flows forth is amazing with regard to homeopathy, care providers, etc.  We are our own best resource!

My children are young, but I look forward the day when they create healthy relationships of their own.  It is my wish that they share resources and try new things together.  Today I thought of what a great example we are showing our children.  We are showing them by our actions and language that we support each other, help each other and love each other like sisters.  It's more than a Meetup Group  it's a Community of intelligent and loving Women.

One thing that most of us seem to have in common is our lack of family nearby.  Most of us have come here from somewhere else.  Human beings were not meant to raise children alone - everyone has heard the saying "It Takes a Village".   I am eternally grateful for all the help that has come my way, even when I didn't ask for it.  My amazing friend Rheagan and I met in Pre-Natal Yoga class and when I found out she was a Stay At Home Mom I told her we needed to hang out.  Little did I know that she would help me on so many different occasions and carry me through some of the most difficult times of my life.  I truly feel G-ds will was in action through Rheagan.

I would not know about the Primal Blueprint Cookbook, have 2 Kombucha SCOBYS, have any fermented goodness in my fridge, have discovered the greatness that is Camelbak waterbottles, had help with Grace when I was huge and pregnant with my son.   I certainly owe much of my health and wellness to my Community, my friends.

If you're reading this - I hope you have experiences a sense of Community yourself.  If you haven't you need to go out and find it- or start it yourself!!!  The sharing of information is extremely important for health and wellness.  It can be done online (and that's great) but it's also important to meet face to face in order to get the "full" human experience.






1 comment:

Stephenie said...

Even if life keeps me from being able to participate often, I know which group you are talking about and there are some pretty awesome ladies there. I am glad you are able to get so much out of it.