Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Extreme Motivation (How I got back into jeans that fit before my wedding day)

I write this post with sincere gratitude, and a zestful happiness that I have never truly experienced until recently. Not long ago, I thought I would never wear size 7 clothes again, little did I know that I would eventually change the course of my shape/attitude/well being.

To make a really long story short and sweet. I gave birth to my son in late September and lost 30lbs of baby weight pretty quickly. I gave myself time to adjust to new motherhood and decided that when he was 3 months old I would start working out again in some capacity and also get really stringent on my diet. Around this time I noticed that a friend on Facebook, Vivian had gone through a "Total Body Transformation" by drinking Shakeology (a tasty, filling meal replacement) daily, and by committing to a series of workout videos created by Chalene Johnson/Beachbody. Oh how I yearned for a similar transformation, so I started to post comments. Vivian told me that I could do this too, we emailed and spoke on the phone and she offered to be my "Coach". I was very skeptical but it did work for her, she was doing something right. I was hopeful that it would work for me too, I decided to go "all in".

I chose to work out with ChaLEAN Extreme using resistance tubing in place of dumbells for adequate resistance. The workouts were intense and it took a while before I could get through the circuits and drills without having to sit and rest for a few minutes. After 90 days I was able to get through like a pro- with great form and no breaks. That's when I decided to step it up a notch to keep the challenge there and purchase additional videos that would add to the challenge. I am hoping this keeps me losing poundage!

Another thing that I did that helped was tell my Dr about what I was doing. He suggested eating 1500 calories a day, I was pretty surprised because that's not a lot and I'm a nursing mother. But when I burn 500 calories a day, then I can eat 2000 calories and that's not hard at all. I tend to eat less when I exercise, not sure why. I think it's because I get busy and don't think about food as much. My Dr also suggested the book "The Spectrum" by Dr Dean Ornish - I took some concepts from the book and applied them and it did seem to really help me. My Dr lost about 70lbs in the past 5 years himself and had a "total transformation" so he motivated me further.

I do remember that about 40-60 days into it I felt great but didn't yet garner the results I was hoping to. I thought maybe it was my thyroid problem or just bad health, not really sure, because I was feeling better/more energetic. I think it was simply the fact that I was building muscle and needed to count calories.

So, to make it all short - The MOST important thing you need to lose weight is a CAN-DO POSITIVE Attitude. The second thing you need is support and motivation from outside. Vivian was very supportive and helpful because she had just accomplished what I really wanted to. Knowing that she did it really inspired me. I also know that for me, I could do cardio until the cows come home and not lose pounds. I needed the muscle building component that ChaLEAN Extreme provides. Because Muscle Burns Fat! I also love the taste and convenience of the Shakeology meal replacement shake in chocolate flavor. I've been drinking it every day for the past 105 days so it has to be doing some good!!!

The stats so far are that in 105 days: 16 inches lost - 15 pounds lighter - and bodyfat reduced from 28 to 15. I started at 187 and I'm currently at 168 - that's more than 15lbs but things fluctuate so I like to do a range. I truly lost somewhere between 15-20lbs so far. Only 10-15 more to lose and I'm where I really want to be.

I would love to help any of my family and friends accomplish what I have. I really don't think there is anything that feels better than losing weight the right, healthy & challenging way!

It's also important to note that the ChaLEAN Extreme program is just like having your own personal trainer, but in the comfort of your own home. There are plenty of modifications for people with problem knees or people who can't/don't want to be jumping around. I found Chalene Johnson to be very upbeat and encouraging and this somehow helped me on a psychological level and her positive influence kept me working out consistently with the videos. I never lost hope and thought of my weight loss as a "BATTLE AGAINST AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE". I decided that I was going to win the fight, and make my body strong so that I can be healthy. I do give myself credit for taking charge. It has paid off in a multitude of ways. A simple example: just the other day I went down a slide along side my daughter while wearing my son in a baby carrier - she laughed gleefully and we continued to go down the slide together probably 20 times. I realized after I went down the first time that this poor child hasn't had a very active parent - and I felt so joyful to know that I can be that "active" parent now. It truly makes such a huge difference to her, and to me as well.

No comments: