Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Joy of Running!

Last Thursday's run inspired the previous post and obviously this one, because I'm going to tell you all about it!

It all starts with a conversation between me and my good friend Uzma.  She was telling me about all the benefits of running and how she loves it so much.  I asked her about her Vibram running shoes and whether or not she liked them.  She told me that when we run as wear are meant to (on the balls of our feet) it works totally different muscles and it's a different experience altogether.  I listened with great interest.  Even though I have recently made a drastic improvement in my running ability, I knew that I wasn't running quite this way, and I was wondering why.  I was thinking maybe it was the shoes I wear, they are not special shoes, just regular non-fancy running shoes.

So fast forward to Thursday evening.  I'm pushing the double stroller and feeling great.  A young girl passes me and she has a great stride, a primal stride, running on the balls of her feet maybe even her tip toes for all I know.  I check out her footwear and she is running in a pair of TOMS!!    After she is several feet ahead of us, I decide to mimic her running style, and wow, I finally KNEW that I WAS DOING IT!  I was so happy and excited, it felt very different that the way I had been running.  I was GIDDY and I ran by her as she was walking and told her she had a great stride and I thanked her and told her that she had helped me improve mine.  She was super nice and thankfully didn't think that I was a weirdo.

On Friday I felt that my calf muscles were worked out extremely well and Uzma was SO RIGHT - there was soreness in places that I have never felt it before.

What a great think I learned while running.  I know there will be many more great things to come! 

No comments: