Monday, May 23, 2011

My 7 Days Sans Weight Training

I want to make this post to encourage anyone who "falls off the wagon" with regard to ANYTHING.    Whether it's not exercising, eating improperly or any other bad habit - you can break the trend, often times really easily.  Also, it's important to know the root cause or causes of why you stopped sticking to your good habits in the first place.

Seven days passed without me doing any of my exercise videos.  I still took long walks, and I still remained active with 2 kids - but my resistance training was put on hold for 7 full days.  I started to feel depressed, unhappy, I wasn't running my household the way I wanted to (cleaning etc).   I knew I needed to pick up right where I left off.  I keep a notebook with info and I went for 115 days of "staying on track" with my workouts, maybe a 1 or 2 day deviation from the official plan, but nothing close to 7 days.

I began to think of why I fell off track.  First, I thought of the recent Daylight Savings Time.  That threw me off my game so much that I moved my workouts from first thing in the morning to the kids nap time.
Then, it all started when I had to spend my nap time on the phone taking care of some important personal business.  This, in turn added stress to my life and I knew that I would spend more time on the phone in the next several days dealing with the situation.  I'm also having some work done to my house, and it has been a very slow process but is finally nearing completion.  I also realized that I have been watching A LOT more TV than I did previously.  HBO's new Sunday night programs like Game of Thrones and Treme have kept me coming back for more.  All of these things put together are a personal recipe for disaster for someone like me.  After considering all these factors I decided that I should just set an alarm for 5:30am so I can continue my morning workouts.  I LOVE having the morning workout complete and accounted for, for the duration of the day.  In order to make this happen I need to go to bed earlier so that I can be refreshed and ready to go in the a.m.

Yesterday I broke my 7 Day Spell by working out during naptime and this morning, I woke up to my 5:30am alarm.  I feel SO MUCH better already and I'm back on track.

While being on hiatus, I am proud to say that my weight did not fluctuate much at all.  I didn't eat as well as I should, but I ate pretty well.  I'm on a raw food kick again and enjoyed mostly nut mylk smoothies.   The 7 Days OFF experience is actually positive for me because I realized that my weight loss is *real* it's not a fad diet - if it were I would have packed the pounds right back on.  And also, I need the exercise to keep me happy and motivated in life.  I wish all Dr.s would really PUSH the exercise on their patients and could write scripts for a Personal Trainer.  For me, it is making all the difference in the world!



No comments: