Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Post Pregnancy Weight Loss Theory

So, there are these times that even when I feel like I bust my arse to lose more weight that I don't notice much change (yes, hello, I am a scale addict!).  But, I came up with a theory that so far, for me has proven to be true.  Here it goes:  Every three months post partum one's body can fluctuate - allowing for some weight loss if one has been eating well and expending calories.   I have noticed a considerable downward fluctuation on my scale at 3 months, 6 months, 9 months and now, I'm eagerly anticipating my baby's 1st birthday for a variety of reasons.  I'm still nursing my baby, I'm going to follow baby led weaning, we will see where that takes us.  It's more calories burned for me, great nutrition for him, and reducing my chance of breast cancer so it's win/win all around.  So to say it simply, every three months my body decides its okay to let go of some extra weight.  I'm sure I can't be the only one experiencing this!

Obviously, my weight loss theory is just that, a theory.  It probably doesn't work this way for everyone.  With my first child, I had undiagnosed Hashimotos and Celiac Disease and I literally did not lose a single pound until I got on the right thyroid RX which was around 10 or 11 months post partum (and where I happen to be at this exact moment).  My first born had colic and was in constant pain (wondering if this could be due to gluten antibodies or something associated with Celiac).  It was the most trying time in my life, and I realized not long ago that I forgot about how difficult it was until I started chatting with people that are still suffering with Hashimotos and are not on the right RX yet, or on no RX at all.

It is my hope that if you are a new Mom and you are struggling with post partum weight loss that you will keep this in mind.  Here is my advice:

1.  Take it easy the first 3 months - focus on eating really well for you and your baby - take walks on nice days, cuddle and love your baby as much as you can and relax whenever you are able.  Accept all the help that if offered to you!

2.  If you are ready at 3 months, try a quick exercise routine, step up your pace on walks, join a gym or go back if you are able, keep eating well- focus on nutrition.

3.  At 6 months, keep up with step #2 but keep pushing yourself to do more, take it to the next level, try running, biking, any activity that will challenge you.

(I think you get the picture!)  I also cannot stress enough how great weight lifting has been for me.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!  If you want results and you want them quick, weight training is the ticket!!  Also, if you like to run/jog - the BOB Jogging stroller is worth it's weight in gold.  I can't believe what a great training tool it has been for me, and it keeps my kids so happy.   My daughter is like a coach, when I stop jogging to take a breather she says "Run Mama, I want to Run!"  I also like that I am setting a good example by showing my kids how I exercise.  I tell my daughter "Exercise makes Mama Happy".   That is the truth :)

No comments: