Thursday, January 29, 2009

Some Things I Didn't Expect About Pregnancy

I wanted to make a list of things that I did not expect to happen or did not know about, in an effort to help any of my readers. And, also to remember one day what an awesome, crazy trip pregnancy and labor can be!

1. Just because you have it easy the first 2 trimesters does not mean the 3rd will go as smooth.

2. "Pushing" for me, was not the natural instinct that I thought all mammals of the female persuasion had.

3. Your job suddenly feels like the 9th Ward of Hell. Even though you never disliked it prior to your 3rd trimester.

4. Early on, I found myself loving movies like "The Holiday", I would normally refuse to watch this kind of stuff. Now I live for it. I'm forever a changed woman.

5. After giving birth, my feet were more swollen than they were at the end of pregnancy. When I laid down they throbbed painfully. This was the MOST disturbing thing to me of all, but apparantly it is normal.

6. The adrenaline that one gets after a natural birth with no drugs keeps you up for days. Sometimes even if baby is quiet and you could sleep, you just can't because the adrenaline is SO INTENSE.

7. I had no idea that 2nd stage labor would last for a little over 5 hours.

8. After giving birth, I am now aware that had I gone to a hospital, I would have certainly had a c-section. In fact, with a narrow pelvis 95% of Dr's would have been telling me to plan on one after my first few visits. I'm glad I trusted my instincts and went to a CNM (certified nurse midwife).

9. I had no idea, how attached and happy I would be with my providers. They have truly touched me and inspired me in so many ways. If I was younger I would seriously consider becoming a nurse. Even though, I don't like needles and blood!

10. My baby is even more precious than I dreamed she could be. Her smile is like a billion sunsets in Negril, Jamaica.

No comments: